Monday, February 25, 2013

Bridge series - nighttime over the Loire

The original bridge over the Loire at Amboise was blown up by local residents in an effort to slow the advance of the German army after the fall of Paris in 1940.  Jacques-Philpipe Leclerc was a French resistance general of the second World War who served in North Africa, and later, following the D-Day landings, his Second Armored division is credited with the liberation of Paris in 1944.   Here is a nighttime view of the rebuilt bridge named in his honor after the war.

3 comments:

  1. Pseudonymous VisitorJuly 29, 2013 at 9:21 PM

    I was just recently in Amboise, and I fell in love with this beautiful town and its precious views. When crossing the Pont Leclerc, I noticed that stone vestiges, presumably of another bridge, grazed the surface of the water on the eastern side. And further up the river, I saw two pylons which appeared to also be pylons of a bridge. I tried to research this on the internet, but found little information, other than a mention of a bridge destroyed during WWII. It was then that I found your blog, and your stunning photos! If you have any information on what I saw and their history, I would be very grateful. Thank you in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bridge that was destroyed during the war (by the locals) was replaced by the current bridge. The two pylons just upstream are what remains of a wooden pedestrian bridge. Unfortunately, it was destroyed by flood waters. I have not been able to find out what the vestiges next to the bridge LeClerc are for sure. After the bridge was first destroyed, there was a temporary pedestrian bridge constructed, so perhaps that's what is left of it. In any case, I'm glad you enjoyed our town and its history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pseudonymous VisitorAugust 20, 2013 at 4:57 AM

    Thank you for the information. I'll subscribe to your blog for sure!

    ReplyDelete