Tuesday, October 28, 2014

la Butte de César


This little hill in the middle of an open field lies in the center of an area of human settlements dating back to Neolithic times (3000 years BC according to one source).  While I have read that it was occupied during Gallo-Roman times, I cannot find any explanation as to why it is known as la Butte de César (mound of Caesar).  Maybe one of my local readers can educate us.  By the way, this site is adjacent to the grounds of the château at Amboise.

7 comments:

  1. It would be interesting to know the history behind the name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well don't look at me, i have no idea! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No doubt archaeologists have been busy all through there for a long time. It looks like a peaceful place, at least now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, nearby there is a dig site where artifacts have been found. But I can't find any information on whether this mound has been explored or not. One would think it would have by now.

      Delete
  4. Everything rendered unto Caesar?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dunno (but I have an excuse, I'm not local). It looks almost like a tumulus to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be. I'm still waiting to see if anyone knows if it has been explored underneath yet or not.

      Delete