Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Leonardo ?


Awhile back my neighbor and friend in Amboise was talking about the statue of Leonardo da Vinci on the Ile d'Or (the island in the Loire across from downtown).  And I said, that's not Leonardo, it's some sort of a mythological god, maybe Neptune.  He insisted, but I just couldn't believe it (see photo)!  Well, after that, I discovered a little plaque next to this sculpture and it explains that it is "Leonardo in the guise of an ancient god" (translated from French).

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Well of course you are correct. You must be a big fan of his to recognize this. The plaque I mentioned says it was given to France in 1935 by the République de Saint-Marin (aka Republic of San Marino in northeast Italy). (Elsewhere on the web I read it was given to Paris.) It was placed in Amboise in 1976.

      Delete
  2. I hope you both had a drink to settle your differences, that weren't so different after all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cheated. Googled it, and found a flickr photo with the info!

    ReplyDelete